Friday, April 10, 2009

The Dreamer is Me




My colleagues are getting pestered with my affinity to the song Rainbow Connection. I play it on loop while checking test papers or when I'm on my lunch break with them. One of my friends at work even said; "Belle, if i hear Rainbow connection one more time... I su-wear..."

So I didn't play it anymore. Okay I lied. I played it like 11x today.
I guess the song's effect on me is different on others.

According to the great green wise muppet;

Why are there so many songs about rainbows
and what's on the other side?
Rainbows are visions, but only illusions,
and rainbows have nothing to hide.
...
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

I first heard this when I was around 6 years old. I vividly remember Lea Salonga's innocent voice dancing in my ears. I sang along even though I didn't know the words nor did I understand what the words meant. My mom would applaud my gibberish and it made me happy. All I knew was that it made me feel like I was in a safe place.

But now that I listen to it. It puts me in a place full of hope ... then despondency. It's sad really. Like a child wishing for Santa to give her a pony for Christmas.

I've been listening to the 4 versions of this song (Kermit the Frog, Sarah McLachlan, Jason Mraz & Lea Salonga) for two weeks now and each one of them made me feel the same. It doesn't seem so magical to me anymore. It just seems like a song full of false hopes. Replacing rainbow with the dreaded four-letter word didn't make it any better and I find myself with a lump in my throat everytime the song is at its end. The end of hoping ...

...What's so amazing that keeps us star-gazing?
What do you think we might see?
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.
...

...I've heard it too many times to ignore it
It's something that I'm supposed to be.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection.
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

People get older and in their years come realization. I'm not a kid anymore. No sense in wishing.
It's a matter of mind-set they say.
But it seems like my song is about to end and I have yet to see my rainbow.



2 comments:

  1. Hey Belly! Can you change my blog address to
    http://feeds2.feedburner.com/apolcano dun baka sakali magupadate yung blog entries ko. Nakakkasawa na ang system restore e. Hehe. Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mum sir its already feeding me... hehehe
    thanks for the award !!!! :)
    i dunno how to do it... but Ill figure it out

    ReplyDelete